About the Artist
An outstanding performance poet whose live performances combine free musicality and innovative lyricism in a unique improvised theatre, Martin Daws work explores life, environment, culture and who the hell we think he thinks he is anyway! Martin's poetry shows a rare breadth of style and voice and he has also been introduced to an audience as 'a thoroughly decent man'.
As a practitioner of contemporary oral tradition Martin defines his role as 'engaging and inspiring people to empower themselves through their creativity'. In pursuit of these aims Martin has delivered creative workshops to over 20,000 people in a 19 year career as a full-time poet and educator.
Martin Daws is Young People's Laureate for Wales 2013-2015, delivering creative engagement projects for young people across Wales. Organisations Martin has worked with in successful collaboration include Literature Wales, The British Council, The Welsh Government, National Dance Company Wales, the BBC and Welsh National Opera.
Renowned for his rhythm, originality and energy Martin has performed extensively around the world, received a prestigious five star review on debut at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (2008) and is a double Farrago Slam Champ. Martin is writer in residence at Moelyci Environment Centre, North Wales and Kingston University Writing School, London.
A collaborative project between Martin Daws, Literature Wales and Urban Word NYC to mentor Martin Daws in slam poetry performance and the coaching of slam poetry teams. The objective of the project is to form the first Wales Youth Slam Team and to take them to the US National Slam Championships in July 2014.
The project has five phases;
- Martin Daws visits Seattle, Portland and San Francisco receiving one to one mentoring from Double World Slam Champion Buddy Wakefield, competing in 3 slams and observing the work of youth action group Youth Speaks
- Martin Daws visits New York working intensively with Urban Word NYC as they create the New York Youth Slam Team 2014
- Martin Daws works in Cathays High School, Cardiff forming the first Wales Youth Slam team
- Martin Daws and the Wales Youth Slam Team visit Philadelphia to compete at Brave New Voices (the US National Youth Team Slam Championship)
- A documentary of the project tours Wales
The legacy of the project will be the foundation of the Wales Youth Slam Team, the raising of the profile of Wales as a centre of innovative spoken word and the training of writers in Wales to deliver excellence in education.
Back to the list of 2013/14 Ambassador Awards